Sunday, September 27, 2009

2009 Omaha, NE Half Marathon

I decided to participate in the Omaha Marathon this weekend, only doing the half, as part of a long training run for my Des Moines race in three weeks.  Leading up to this, I helped volunteer a couple of different times, with packet stuffing a couple of weeks ago, and also helped yesterday at the Expo to hand out race packets and t-shirts.

I didn't really intend to race the half today, since I had to run a total of 21 miles.  After doing the half marathon, I thought I'd take a quick break to grab a snack and a drink, then get back on the path and do another 8 miles or so to round out the day.

Did my normal pre-race routine though by eating what I would normally eat.  The weather was perfect this morning, clear skies, cool temperatures in the 40s, just a beautiful day for a race.  It couldn't have gotten any better.  I arrived about 1/2 hour before the race, to take a picture with my fellow runners in the Omaha Running Club.  After that, I thought I'd better grab a spot in the porta potty line since start time of 7 am was fast approaching.  With about 6 people still in front of me, and 2 minutes to the gun, I opted to pee behind a a tree instead.  I was desperate.

The race itself was very uneventful, just a really nice run.  I didn't push this at all, but just ran at a leisurely pace to get the miles in.  Finish time was 2:13:12.  My knee was feeling strong today, with no problems, so I could have run it a lot faster.  But, knowing that I had another 8 miles to do after the race held me back.  The most interesting part of the race occurred around mile 3.  While running past a local firehouse, it was apparent they were cooking breakfast, as the smell of sausage, bacon, and pancakes filled the air.  It was almost cruel to do that to us!  Ha.

After the race, I did grab a banana, a bagel, and a bottle of Gatorade, but then got back onto the trail to finish out my long run.  After 8 more miles, my legs were starting to give out and I was really slowing down.  I finished the day at 21.6, and headed to the nearest Village Inn to grab a refreshing meal.

All in all, I'd have to say I'm ready for the Des Moines marathon. I've been holding off registering as I wasn't sure I'd be ready, especially given my ITB strain earlier this year.  After today, I feel I've got the necessary endurance to complete the full marathon.  While I won't be speedy, I know I should be able to finish, and to me, that's what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment