Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd 50k

Ok, I've got a running problem, yes, I fully admit it.  Just 2 short weeks after the Wineglass Marathon, I ran the Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd 50k, in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.  Well, I didn't run it, I walked it, to help pace a running friend in her first 100 mile race attempt.  And, perhaps that wasn't such a bad thing, my right hamstring has still been complaining a bit, so the walking (instead of running) probably helped that a lot.

The drive to Oklahoma was about an 8 hour drive for us, but it would give us both a new state.  The race itself was quite an experience, I was helping to crew her first 2 laps, then run the third lap with her.  A lot of waiting, with occasional bouts of business, that's what crewing a 100 mile race is all about.  I actually didn't start pacing until about 1 am in the morning.  At that point, my friend was already 69 miles into the event, and relatively tired.

It was a beautiful night for a run.  The moon was nearly full, the skies were clear, the winds were light, and temperatures were in the 50s.  Overall, just wonderful.  We walked most of the 31.8 miles, with occasional shuffling along the way.  My friend had asked that try to talk about anything and everything that I could think of, so I did.  In fact, I didn't stop talking until the last hour or so, simply because I had run out of things to say.  10:17:00 was my finishing time, and personal worst for a 50k, but I didn't care.  Since I had registered, I got a shirt, a medal, and credit for another state, and more importantly, I got to help a friend complete her first 100 mile race.  Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment