Monday, October 3, 2011

WineGlass Marathon

Just 2 short weeks after my 24 hour endurance run in Cleveland, Ohio, I ran the Wineglass Marathon in Corning, NY.  This was originally my goal race for this year, but the 24 hour run usurped that.  Since I was already registered, and would be in the area for a Bed and Breakfast weekend, I decided to run the race anyhow.

After the North Coast event, my right hamstring has been very tight, likely a result of the bad cramping that I experienced during the race.  I've been trying to rehab it with stretches, but it really hasn't been getting better.  Leading up to this race, even the couple of days beforehand, I was considering not running it.  The fact that it would be raining with temperatures in the lower 40s and a 10 mph wind also made me doubt whether it was smart to run or not.

Race morning arrived, and indeed, it was a steady downpour, and very cold.  Waiting at the starting line, feeling miserable and questioning my leg, I decided that I'd feel more upset with myself if I didn't run it.  Once I started running, it actually wasn't that bad.  I was soaked, water was running off the bill of my cap, but overall, I was warm enough.  And yes, the right hamstring was twitchy, but overall, it wasn't that bad.  In fact, the race was pretty fun!

The miles ticked off fast enough, and the course was beautiful!  The trees were just starting to turn, and it was  a really nice run.  By about mile 18 though, the rain had stopped, but both of my legs felt like they wanted to cramp at any moment, yet I kept running.  Perhaps all the wine I drank in the 3 days leading up to the race had something to do with that, ha.  My finish time was pretty good, considering my recent 84 mile run just two weeks, ago, 4:05:18.  And it felt good to be done.  Another state, 10 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment