Wednesday, October 13, 2010

2010 Bank of America Chicago Marathon

Short Version: I finished.  And I didn't die (I always joke about that, but not really).  It was horribly hot in the last 1/3 of the race, with temps pushing the mid 80s. I had to walk, a lot.  I cramped really badly and couldn't even walk at mile 23.  I was 15 minutes off my goal time, but still managed to squeak out a 7:14 PR over a previous marathon in May.  Official time 3:49:24.

Pre Race Training:  It was the best training program I've had, peaking at 60mpw during the August challenge, with a solid PR half 5 weeks before the race, with a perfect taper.  The stage was set, I felt I had a solid chance at 3:30 - 3:35.

Expo:  Was able to finally meet Doug (Venomized) in person at the expo.  He's a cool guy.  The expo was awesome.  DW accompanied me to Chicago for the weekend, and we both really enjoyed going through the booths, taking pictures in front of all the photo backdrops, and various shopping, and just in awe of how big it really was.  Neat.

The race
:  I did everything right for this race.  Was very well hydrated, did a proper carb load, and just felt this was my race.  Signed up for the 3:30 pace group at the Expo.  Standing in the starting corral when it was 64 degrees, I threw that goal out the window.  Fell back to my 3:35 pace band that I had made for the race.  Within the first 2 miles, threw that out the window because I was already sweating buckets, and settled in with the 3:40 pace group through mile 17.  Miles were ticking off in the 8:10-8:15 range, and I felt awesome.  Of course, there was shade, a lot of it.  By 17 1/2 miles in, the shade was gone the wheels were falling off and beginning to become piles of bubbling goo, becoming part of the ashpalt.  I got nauseous, started cramping, had some minor GI issues, and I was dehydrated, despite stopping at EVERY water station for a glass of Gatorade and water. By Mile 18, I had to drop to a walk.  Gasp.  I walked about 10 more times over the next 8 miles.  At mile 20, it was 83 degrees, with full sun.  The last 2 to 3 miles were a pure slog.  I had stopped sweating.  When I crossed the finish line, I was extremely nauseous.  I was swearing that I would NEVER do another marathon.  It was hard race, and I definitely descended to somewehre very near the point of hell I believe. Still got my PR, and given the conditions, I'm extremely happy with that.  Wanted more, but we can't control the weather, and one of my sayings, it will be what will be.  Today was not my day.  The crowds along the race were insane though.  Very fun!!

Post Race:  The long mile walk back to my hotel was probably the best thing I could do.  It took that long to start feeling better, and I could finally smile again.  Got a Pepsi, and a banana, and started feeling better, and got into an ice bath for 10 minutes which really helped the legs.  Took a hot shower, and packed up and headed home.  And, I told my wife I would never do this again, repeatedly.

The Epilogue:  After a long trip home, involving planes, trains, and automobiles, 9 hours later, I'm feeling much better and am thinking about my next adventure. My legs really aren't that sore, and I feel pretty good! It is what it is, I'm a runner, and there are good and bad days.  Today was a mixture of both.  For better or worse, right?  Right??  In the end, I'm better than I was, but not as good as I'll be.  Peaks and valleys.

Here are a few pictures:

Me pointing to my name on the Wall of all of the 45000 registered Chicago marathon runners.  See how chubby my finger is?  I told you I was well hydrated and had carbed up.



A picture of DW and I at the photo backdrop at Niketown in downtown Chicago (OK, we spent way too much money there, but that's OK, we love Nike stuff).



Me, post race back at the hotel, with the medal, and getting my sugar levels back to normal, and I'm even smiling, quickly forgetting about the pain.



The bling!  Ahh, the bling.  I love, love, love this shirt, it's a Nike Dry Fit shirt.  The medal is really nice too, It might be one of my favorite medals.  Simple, but very elegant.  And the whole 10-10-10 theme is awesome.



Overall, this was a PRICELESS weekend with one crappy element, the weather.  And yes, there will be another day. I also want to thank my DW for being my support crew this weekend.  I think she legitimately had a great weekend too.  She got to watch the Elites at the finish line, and couldn't believe how many runners were going down in the last couple of miles. Ironically enough, after we got home, my feet feel great, but my DW is the one with 2 huge blisters on her feet.  Bless her for supporting my passion and sticking with me, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment