Sunday, November 6, 2011

Marshall University Marathon

I ran the Marshall University Marathon today in Huntington, West Virginia.  I've always had a special place in my heart for Marshall, mainly because of the plane crash that killed many members of their football team back in 1970, the year I was born.  I remember hearing about this as a kid, and then, seeing the movie a few years ago made it seem more real.  When I had the chance to run this race, I thought it would be a nice fit.

I'm coming off a pretty tough cycle, having run a 24 hour event 7 weeks ago, the Wineglass Marathon 5 weeks ago, walking a 50k at Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd 3 weeks ago, and now this race.  So I had no intentions of racing this event, just completing it for 50 states credit.  It's a small marathon, roughly 600 runners, but the perks were amazing.  By registering early, I received a Brooks Podium running jacket in signature Marshall colors (green, perhaps my favorite color).  The race logo and date were silk screened on the back of the jacket, and their team mascot.



The weather for the race was nearly perfect.  Light winds, clear skies, starting temps in the upper 30s.  Overall, a beautiful morning for a run.  I met some other online running friends before the race, and then we were off.  The running couldn't have been better.  I decided to run the first 18 miles to get a really decent long run in (without stopping), then ran a 5:1 ratio (run 5 minutes, walk a minute) the last 8.2 miles, mainly to give my legs some recovery time since I have 1 more marathon in 6 days (Chickamauga Battlefield marathon).  Overall, I think it was a great strategy, by mile 22, my legs were borderline beginning to cramp anyhow.  I trudged on and slowed down just a little.  The course was 2 loops, down in the river valley, and it was essentially flat (or the hills were so gradual that they were noticeable).  About mile 25.5, we were handed a carnation to place near their memorial fountain for the plane crash victims.  It was a green carnation, which is one of my favorite flowers.  The scent of the flower was wonderful, and it was a touching moment to memorialize the men that lost their lives in 1970.  The race finish was in the football stadium, and we were given a football to carry across the finish line.  Really cool!  Finish time was 4:10 and a few seconds.  Overall, a wonderful time considering I wasn't pushing the pace at all, and ran/walked the last 8 miles.  After the race, were were allowed access to their rec center to take a shower, which was a really nice perk.  Feels so good to take a hot shower immediately after a race.  They did run out of water by the time I finished (a LOT of spectators were drinking it all, doh), but they got some more in a few minutes.  And, they were cooking hamburgers and hotdogs, so I grabbed a couple burgers hot off the grill.

After a 6 hour drive (I'm on a vacation, so traveled to my next destination), my legs feel great.  I stopped about every 30 to 60 miles to stretch, walk around, and keep the legs and hips loose.  Surprisingly, I'm not that sore now.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.


Post race finish picture.  I've decided to wear calf compression sleeves when I can for my races, I think it really helps.  Wore my signature black outfit.  Black might be my second favorite color.  It was ironic, I realized that I wore this same exact outfit (shirt, shorts, arm warmers) at my first marathon.


The medal is really cool.  It's a 3D medal, with their team mascot (a buffalo) on the front that is sculpted, and the rear of the buffalo is also sculpted on the back (not shown).  It's custom dated for today's race.  Very nice, heavy medal with a green ribbon.  Love it!!


This was my 15th marathon or ultra, in my 12th state.  Gee, I only have 38 to go!  It's definitely a fun hobby, and a great way to do some traveling to places that I probably wouldn't go otherwise.  And yes, even though marathons sometimes suck about mile 22 or 23, by mile 25, all is well with the world again when I can hear/smell/see the finish line.  Life is good!

9 comments:

  1. Great job, Van. Maybe I should start using those calf compression ones for my LRs and marathons as well. Do you feel they really help you with craps and in race issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damaris, they don't help with the craps that much unfortunately. Cramps, yes, craps, no. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, that's what I meant. But if they work with craps too, they would be awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran Chicago with the sleeves and several long runs. Seem to help with recovery though. - Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Love the carrying the football in the stadium for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Van, what a great sounding event with the flower, football, SHOWERS, and burgers. You are really racking up the miles but still ran this well.
    I looked for this because I read you saw Joanne & Brad cross the finish. Did you 3 get any pictures?
    BTW, I see Oregon is still blank.... Eugene is a great little marathon.... just sayin'
    Waterskimmer

    ReplyDelete
  7. WS, I've heard great things about Eugene. That's always a tough weekend because there are always a lot of other great races then too. Maybe some year. I have family and friends in Portland too, and they are always asking me to come west in the fall. :) So many races, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Van - it was great meeting you there at Marshall. It sounds like you had a great race, and got to scratch another state off your list. Hopefully we'll bump into each other at other races down the road too. Run strong my friend.... -Rob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the finish! It's funny, I have a similar 50-states goal, 17 so far, and we overlap on almost none of the states. Hit up the south!

    ReplyDelete