Sunday, February 7, 2010

2010 Surf City Half Marathon

I ran the Surf City Half Marathon today in Huntington Beach, CA, with my old college roommate from 20 years ago. I ran a strong race (for me, considering my weak knee), with a chip time of 1:56:40, which is just 5 seconds away from a PR. 5 seconds!! Ahh, so close, yet so far. Still I'm super happy with that though.

Simply put, It was an awesome run. The scenery along the pacific coast was amazing, probably the most scenic race I've ever done. The rolling ocean waves were on one side, snow capped mountains on the other, under a clear blue sky, with a light breeze, and temps in the 50s, running amidst palm trees. Perfect!  After 10 miles, I was getting a little tired though, but also was able to find a second wind.  At mile 11, I decided to take a gamble and opened up the throttle full tilt to see what I had left in the tank.  I found out that I had a lot to give, and found myself consistently lengthening my stride, steadily increasing pace, and reached a flat out sprint the last 1/3 mile. (check my splits below).  I felt like a thoroughbred, passing other runners left and right. In fact, the faster I ran, the better my knee felt.  I think it could be related to the increased stride length.  If only I had let the reins loose 5 seconds sooner, I could have bagged that PR!!  Ahh, that will have to wait for another day.

Even though I was 5 seconds off my PR (which was a downer at first knowing that I barely missed it), this race has given me so much confidence and makes me want to run even harder and faster. And I know Ive definitely got more to give. I finished the race strong, and wanted to keep going, and now have a large source of pride to build on from here. It was an awesome day and a spectacular run for me!

Now, the only problem, I had to face going back to cold and snowy Nebraska running when I've been spoiled by sunny and warm California running. Yeah, it's going to suck.

Splits/Pace:
1  9:02
2  8:56
3  8:59
4  9:07
5  8:58
6  8:38
7  8:56
8  8:55
9  9:00
10  9:09
11  9:14 - getting tired, but found a second wind.
12  8:22 - holy moly this almost feels good.
13  8:15 - oh my god, what am I doing?!?
 .1  6:38  - OK, this is very hard. I've never run this fast. Ever.



My college roommate Matt (on the left) and I after the race.  Note the palm trees.  It was a beautiful day for running. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

The race bling (shirt and medal, on the left).  I have to say, this is one of the coolest medals I've ever received.  Very unique, a signature item.

As a side bonus, apparently, while I was traveling in beautiful CA, somehow my CC number was lifted, and several bogus charges made it through.  Thankfully, my CC company puts a hold on my account because I've had this happen in the past, but the account has now been closed down.  Oh well. Se la vi, I know the routine, I think this is about the 4th time this has happened to us in the last 3 years.

That's 4 states completed and 46 to go...


No comments:

Post a Comment