Sunday, December 18, 2011

Run for the Ranch Marathon

What: Run for the Ranch Marathon
Where: Springfield, MO
When: 12/18/11 1pm
Time: 3:49:48

This was a very strong race for me.  I didn't intend to race it, and even at the starting line at 1 pm, I thought I'd just run this a nice strong training run around 4:30.  But everyone else around me was racing, and it was hard to hold back.  The weather was perfect (temps in the 50s, mostly cloudy), the course was great, and I decided to take a chance and push it a bit.  Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind.  I did not taper for the race, running back to back 18 milers last weekend. And, I almost didn't even start the race because my left hamstring and right foot have been giving me trouble (possible neuroma developing in my foot again).  Aleve seems to have helped both quite a bit though.  The first couple of miles of the race were rough, I was having a lot of pain in my shins, and it didn't look good.  But once I warmed up, everything felt good, so I decided to put the hammer down a bit. The course was 8 laps on the Missouri State University campus, with very gentle ups and downs.  I only had 3 gels and 1 salt caplet, but drank Powerade on the course.  My left hamstring twinged around mile 20, but then relaxed, and my right foot never hurt at all (although it hurts very badly now several hours after).  I initially decided to shoot for sub4 after abandoning the 4:30 goal, and at the halfway point at mile 13.1, I decided that I would shoot for 3:50 with a negative split.  I have to admit, this was a fun run!  And a very strong race for me, only 6 minutes off my PR set back in January of this year. First half 1:55:35, second half 1:54:13 with a finish of 3:49:48.  About as even as I could get.    After a long slow year of doing ultras and multi-hour events, it felt really good to start getting a little of my speed that I had previously built up back in my legs.  Funny story, about 15 miles in, I grabbed my salt caplet out of my pocket, and bumped my car key fob.  My car was parked directly on the course, and I was only about 20 feet away when I did it.  I promptly set the car alarm off.  Oops.  The medal was a 4" custom medal with a mustang on it, with nearly all of the race proceeds going to the Good Samaritan Boys Ranch.   All in all, it was a great day.  Even the 5 1/2 hour car ride home wasn't that bad as I listened to Christmas music, some great 50s and 60s oldies, and just relived the day enjoying the runner's high.

No comments:

Post a Comment