Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon

My 2nd marathon in 6 days, I went into this race feeling tired.  I ran the Marshall University Marathon last Sunday, then spent the week doing a lot of mountain trail running in the Appalachian Mountains, and then ran an 11k race yesterday in downtown Atlanta.  My body was feeling good mostly, but I was just tired.  I honestly went into this race with no goal, other than to finish.  My right foot has been bothering me just a bit, my Morton's Neuroma flared up this week, likely a result of the trail running that I've done.

The race itself is held on Chickamauga Battlefield at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.  This would be another state for me, my 16th marathon and my 13th state.  I'm not a big history buff (was actually my worst subject in school), so all of the Civil War info was lost on me.  Hundreds of monuments dot the battlefield, which is nestled in the hills of northern Georgia.  But, overall, the course was gorgeous!  Fall foliage in full bloom, while running on mostly tree covered roads.  The weather was also nearly perfect, clear skies, light winds, and a start temperature around 32.  The run was fabulous!!

After meeting a couple of online running friends, and a slightly late start allowing everyone to get to the starting line, a loud cannon was shot and we were off.  My friend was pacing the 4:30 group, and I half intended to run with her and take it easy, but I ended up well ahead of her.  The first mile was a little slow with all the congestion, but then I warmed up and picked it up a bit.  Today would be the day of the wandering nagging pain.  It started in my left shin.  I didn't really warm up for the race, so started off cold.  After a quick walk to shake it out, the pain then moved to my left knee.  I was worried that it was an ITBS flare, but by about mile 3, the pain shifted to my right arch, feeling like a case of Plantar Fasciitis beginning to develop.  After a couple of miles, the pain moved to the callus of my right big toe.  Felt like I was stepping on a nail for awhile.  Then around mile 11, I felt a sugar crash coming on, thankfully I was near an aid station and was able to grab some Gatorade, and bananas and apples.  Then the ball of my right foot felt like it was getting a blister.  Ugh.  See, moving pain, but it never lingered in the same spot. Finally, by about mile 18, the nagging moving pain seemed to end.

The miles ticked off fairly easily.  The course itself was a continuous barrage of rolly polly hills.  Nothing severe or extreme, but constant.  In fact, it was a relief, a nice mix of up, down, and flat.  Hitting a downhill stretch always felt great. I hit sub 9 minute miles at 20 and 21.  Again, I didn't really know what to expect, and was just going with what felt good at the moment.  Aid stations were wonderful, with water, Powerade of different flavors, Gu, bananas and apple slices.  Finish time was 4:07:12, a time I'm very pleased with.  Yes, well off my PR of 3:43, but I wasn't racing this, just running it easy to get state credit.  Considering that I just ran a 4:10 marathon six days ago, all the trail running this past week, the 11k race yesterday, and the nagging pains, I think it's fantastic!  Especially when my only goal was a finish.

The post race spread was really nice.  I got a couple of pieces of pizza, some delicious chicken tortilla soup, some cookies, and couple glasses of Coke.  I found my friend who paced the 4:30 group and chatted with her for a bit.  I looked for my other friend Richard, but couldn't find him, hoping he had a good race, his first one.

Overall, I'm pleased.  A few hours later, (after a trip to the pool and hot tub), my legs feel great.  Not really sore, or very stiff at all.  The ball of my right foot is bruised, not blistered, but it will be fine.  No other blisters or chafing otherwise.  It was a great opportunity to do something I love, run an amazingly beautiful course, and complete another state.  Life is good.


Taken after the finish.  I was a little salty, but didn't have any trouble with cramping at all.


The medal is very nice.  They do a custom medal each year commemorating one of the monuments on the battlefield.  This year's medal displayed the Free Calvary of Pennsylvania, which opened and closed the Battle of Chickamauga.


The elevation profile.  Again, nothing extreme, but a nice mix to keep it interesting.  

3 comments:

  1. I've heard this marathon is awesome. You and I are alike. I like to collect marathon medals and who cares if they were PRs or not? Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! I've experienced those wandering niggles before on my long run and it is kind of weird. Glad they were nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Van! The value of running are not the records but the fact of moving your body through a road, step by step. I'd like to run with you someday, man

    ReplyDelete