Tuesday, December 29, 2009

ITBS Cures

The thought occurred to me that I need to document how I recovered from the pain in my left ITB, so mainly I don't forget and can use that info for my right leg.  Primarily, what helped on the left leg was a series of strengthening exercises that helped improve my glutes, my hip abductors, my hamstrings, and of course, stretching the connectors to the ITB in my hip  One of the main stretches that I was doing was a form of the Walt Reynolds stretch, where I would step up on a phone book with my affected leg (bad leg), and step down on the floor with my good leg.  Then I would rotate my affected hip up and out, which effectively put my zipper line over my big toe.  This is kind of a wobbly stretch, but I think it helps to stretch the hip muscle (abductor) that attaches to the ITB.  I also would simulate this action any time I was standing around, just without the phonebook, which engaged the hamstring, and also stretched the hip.  Using a theraband also helped to strengthen my hip abductors, lying on my side, then wrapping the theraband around my knees, and doing knee lifts. Of course, constant icing after runs helps, even at other times of day, along with taking NSAIDs (Aleve seems to work best), and continued use of the ultrasound with medicated ultrasound gel seems to help keep the inflammation down.

I've also stumbled across a video that hints that the reason could be inflammation in the tibialias anterior muscle, since the pain often presents itself below the knee cap. The doctor in the video theorizes that if it were true ITB pain, you should have anterior knee pain above the knee joint, which I've never had.  Hmm, it's worth a shot.

Initially, I also started with a shoe insert, the green Super Feet insoles.  This helped, and the PT thought that custom orthotics would also help.  I wholeheartedly agreed since I do have insurance coverage for orthotics, but come to find out, my insurance denied the claim, although I don't know why.  But, the custom orthotics were a big step I think, but they didn't prevent me from injuring my right leg in the same manner. 

Bottom line, I've got to get this ITBS in my right leg under control, and fast. I don't necessarily need to run fast, but I do want to run pain free.  I'm doing it all, but just don't seem to be making much progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment