Friday, June 19, 2009

Decided to Visit the Doctor

I decided to visit a sports medicine doctor today since my knee pain just doesn't seem to be getting better.  After the run at the Rocky Mountain Half Marathon in Denver this past Sunday, I guess I need to get this checked out.  In hopes of avoiding the middle man, I skipped a visit with my family doctor, and went straight to a well-known sports-medicine group here in town.

The good news, after taking a series of x-rays, the doctor is sure that I haven't really torn anything and that I just have a very tight ITB.  This puts pressure on the knee, which leads to the the pain on the lateral side at the insertion point where the ITB connects.  My knee-cap is slightly displaced on the lateral side (just grew that way), which also compounds the problem.

The solution is to see a physical therapist, since there's no real damage that a doctor needs to repair.  I've made an appointment for June 25 with one of the leading running PTs in the area.  She has run numerous marathons, winning 8, and has qualified for the last 3 Olympic Trials.  I'm pretty sure she knows her stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment