Friday, November 11, 2011

National Veterans Day Run

Today, I ran the National Veterans Days 11k Run in Piedmont Park in downtown Atlanta.  Atlanta was one of 9 cities that participated. 11k is an odd distance, but since date was 11-11-11, it fit.  Overall, I didn't race this, simply because I ran a marathon 5 days ago, I have done a lot of trail running this week, and I have another marathon tomorrow.  It was a very cold morning, temps were around 30 for the start, but otherwise a beautiful morning for a race, especially as the full moon was setting over downtown Atlanta while the sun rose in the east.

I have to admit, the organization for this race was very chaotic.  Signup for the race was easy, but then, the race wanted to mail packets, but I was going to be out of town when they mailed it.  Then, this morning, the race was supposed to start at 7:11 am.  Around 615, there still were no official race peeps around, they finally showed up around 630 am.  But, there were so many people that had to pick up the packets, the race was delayed by about 20 minutes.  This was supposed to be a race celebrating veterans and their service to this country.  Nothing was mentioned about veterans at the beginning, there was no flag, and no national anthem.  Overall, very dissapointed in the race organization here in Atlanta.

The race itself was uneventful.  Three loops through Piedmont Park.  The run was beautiful, with fall color in full swing, and got to see all the various sights in the park.  Really nice run, again, not a race for me, but just a nice run.  The shirt and medal were really nice, and overall, for $22, I'd say I got my money's worth, despite the poor organization.  And, it was a nice way for me to personally my family and friends who have served this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment