Sunday, January 17, 2010

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Over the last couple of weeks, I have made some good progress on my runs, but not without an occasional step back.  I've been doing a lot of stretching, both my hip abductors and my hamstrings, but also my tibialis muscle too.  The pain has gotten a lot better, but it's still there on the longer runs.  I also have discovered that the cold aggravates my knee, and also running in the snow (likely due to a change in running gait).  Although, this past Wednesday, I was able to do a 5 mile run with my local running group and managed to nab a pace that I haven't been able to achieve since December 1st, so that was a big improvement.  I paid a price for it though, as my knee hurt again the very next day immediately upon setting out.

So, I'm definitely making progress, but also have to not push it too much too fast.  I still have a half marathon coming up in 3 weeks at the Surf City race in California.  I have no doubt I can finish it, although I won't be shooting for any time goal.  I originally (way back in early December) thought this would be an easy PR race for me since it's flat and I would be coming off the experience of running 3 marathons. Plans change, and sometimes just getting to the finish line should be reward enough, irregardless of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment