Friday, February 6, 2009

Pain is Decreasing

Today was a scheduled rest day, but it was hard since it warmed into the lower 60s. I ached to get out and run today, but knew I had to take it easy. I started an extended stretching routine today, to try and frequently stretch my lower calves. I did stop by the local Running Store, Peak Performance, to ask whether or not my shoes needed inserts. They felt that the pain was 1) expected, 2) sounded as if it wasn't that bad, and 3) think I should not train as hard.

This evening, the pain is almost gone, but the calf muscle and Achilles tendon still feel tight. So, perhaps the stretching is helping. Of course, not putting the strain on it with additional training is helping too. The running store did suggest I use a heel lift in my shoe to help take the strain off the muscle when I'm walking around too, so perhaps I'll stop at Walgreens to see what they have. He suggested that if I'm still having trouble in a week or two, to come back in to possibly look at different shoes. I'm using Nike Air Pegasus 25+ shoes now, and they feel good, but if they are they are the cause of the problem, I would definitely consider changing.

It's kind of weird that I was a bit anxious to get out and run today, since only 3 weeks ago, I approached my runs with some trepidation. Even with the pain yesterday, I otherwise felt really good, before, during, and after the run, and was excited to be outside running for the first time. Just wish I could have taken advantage of the warmer weather today, but these days will come again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment