Monday, May 4, 2009

Oh, My Aching Joints

Today has been a somewhat hard day, and I'm a little stiff and sore. That's to be expected, but as long as I keep moving, slowly, things continue to improve. I decided to go for a very slow recovery jog this evening, just to keep the joints limber. The first half mile or so was very painful in my knees and feet, but after that, once everything was warmed up, the run felt good and I was able to complete a 5k, but at a very slow, leisurely shuffle.

The key is to not rush back into your training, but to ease back into it, and give your body a chance to fully recover. I intend to keep taking it easy this week, with nice short runs, slowly improving my speed back to normal, and then begin training hard again next week as I have another half marathon race in Denver in 6 weeks.

The challenge in that race is the elevation. The Denver course itself is relatively flat (mostly), meandering through downtown Denver, past the football stadium, then up in elevation a bit around a nice lake, and back. But, the 3500 elevation difference compared to Omaha will slow my pace by a few seconds for each 1000 feet gain. My strategy is to build endurance down here by speeding up a little, and hopefully getting in a little hill work, and also running in the heat. The Denver race is just a fun run to me, as I thought it would be a great weekend getaway.

Anyhow, until then, slow and easy runs to keep the legs moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment