Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pre Race-Day Jitters

Today is the day "before" the big day. I've been tapering my training this week, and have run only half of what I normally run. I feel as if I'm losing everything I've done in training up to this point, even though that's not the case at all. I've also been carb- loading the last couple of days. Ugh, I've gained a couple of pounds, and definitely can't wait to stop so I can get back to my normal foods. Pasta, potatoes, pancakes, bread, you name it, I've done it. It's supposed to give you extra power in the race since I'll have a higher than normal carb load on board. It's just making me fat.

Today, we headed to Lincoln to get our race packets. We visited the race expo, although it wasn't that great, and we drove the course for the race. So, I think we're as ready as we're going to be! I actually slept fairly well last night, even though I had to get up every 2 hours to pee. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I've been drinking like a fish. Bottom line, I'm well hydrated, have got extra fuel on board, now I just have to go out and run.

It's kind of a surreal feeling that my 15 weeks of training has culminated in this single moment. I'm assuming that it will all be a little anticlimactic tomorrow after the race is over, but that's why I've signed up for more races, to keep me motivated to continue my training. The weather for the race tomorrow should be nearly perfect. Temperatures should be in the mid 40s, winds should light from the north (at my back for the first 6 miles or so), and it should be dry.

In the back of my mind, I have a goal time in mind, but in the end, it doesn't really matter how I do. I know I'll finish, my training has already proven to me that I can do the distance. I just hope my body remembers, and it goes according to my master plan. 13.1 miles, in an official race, in another 14 hours, I should be able to say, "Been there, ran that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment