Monday, February 1, 2010

Overnight Heart Rate Monitoring

As a fun experiment, I decided to use my Garmin heart rate strap to monitor my heart rate while I slept.  Mainly, I just wanted to get a more-accurate read on what my resting heart rate might be.  I originally thought it might be about 59, after taking some measurements.  But, by using the heart rate monitor while sitting on the couch doing nothing, I thought it might be about 52.  To get a longer read, I used the monitor while I slept through the night.

Below is about a 6-hour period from last night.  I believe I can draw an imaginary "rolling" trend line in the lower/mid 50s, maybe around 53 or 54.  It's also interesting to see the highs/lows of my heart rate, likely responding to various dream states, REM sleep, etc.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is very interesting, It shows quite a lot of information. Like how many rem cycles you have, it would also be interesting to see your body temperature, and maybe other physiological parameters such as blood glucose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you describe exactly what kind of equipment (model numbers, etc) you used to collect the data? I want to monitor my heart rate during the night to see if I can figure out why I can't fall asleep naturally anymore. Just about the time I begin to enter sleep I'm jolted awake by heart palpitations. It's been three weeks and I'm exhausted. Is the data being downloaded to a smartphone for uploading? Or do you have a heart rate watch that allows uploading to a computer?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I used a Garmin 305 GPS watch. It's mostly used for running. It has a chest strap that you wear that wirelessly transmits the data to the watch. Basically, you would need any type of monitor that stores data that you can upload to a computer (which is what I did in this case).

    ReplyDelete