Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Making Progress

10 days post marathon, and I feel am making progress regarding my ITBS.  I did not run for about 3 days after the marathon, mainly because of the blizzard we received, and dealing with the aftermath of that.  But, by last Thursday, I was ready to start again, and have done a run/walk every day since then, either doing 3, 4, or 5 miles. The first run was pretty tough, with a immediate pain in my knee whenever I jogged, but walking at the same pace did not hurt.  So, I started doing my stretches, and just took it easy, gradually doing a little more each day.  This is a very mild case of ITBS, certainly not as bad as I had in my left leg earlier this year, hence the reason I am able to do a little bit more.  Today, I was able to fully run half my distance, so am making improvements a little each day. I've still got another couple of weeks of recovery runs lined up before a new marathon training cycle starts, and I'm OK with that.  So, I will probably be doing a daily run of 3 or 4 miles, with nothing longer until I can get to a pain-free point again in my knee.  I'm also stepping up my stretching regimen, so that will likely help too.

It's a weird feeling, knowing I've run so much, and have recently just done 3 marathons, and now I can't even run more than 1/4 mile without pain.  I long to be 100% healthy again, where I can just run, and run, and run.  It will come, I have to have faith that it will.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, its Redtailhawk from RW. I've had experience with ITBS. It took a good 6 months after I got it be completely rid of the nagging pain after longer runs. I hope yours gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brittney, yes, I've learned that there really isn't a quick fix for ITBS. When I had it in my left left, it took a good 3 months to get back to 100%.

    ReplyDelete