Thursday, December 31, 2009

Tonight's Run Felt Great

On  my daily shuffle this evening, I may have had another breakthrough.  Over the last couple of days, I've been focusing on strengthening my tibialis anterior muscle, since my pain in my knee has been below my knee joint (reference the video in the previous post).  Also, I put my ITB strap below the knee joint tonight, instead of above it.  The ITB strap really should be placed over your ITB above the joint, but if this really is a tibialis issue instead, the strap need to be below the knee joint to eliminate the floppage at the insertion point.

Anyhow, long story short, I was able to run my best pace yet since the marathon 3 1/2 weeks ago, with virtually no pain at all.  I did stop to walk for just a minute or so, but overall, had a great run on the treadmill at the gym.  I'm going to rest tomorrow just to give it some extra time, but am hoping that my run on Thursday will be OK too.

Otherwise, a new 18 week marathon training plan was supposed to start this week. I decided to delay that at least one week, to try to give my knee some additional rest.  Since I've got the benefit of experience, even delaying my training by a week or more shouldn't hurt me overall, as I should easily be able to make up some progress as my knee continues to strengthen.

No comments:

Post a Comment