Sunday, November 15, 2009

20 Miler, Run and Done

I did my last long, long run before Vegas today, a 20 mile run on the Keystone Trail here in Omaha, which culminates the week with 40.1 miles. And now, another 3 week taper period begins.  The run was actually very good today, despite being a little chilly.  Start temps were in the mid 30s, with a slight breeze, but I felt warm enough in my lightweight tights, and 2 layers up top. Wore a hat and gloves, and felt very good.  I decided to do a Ram/Wam today (run a mile, walk a minute), and this worked out really well. I also ran the entire run without my Ipod, which is a first on the long run for me.  And, most importantly, I finished strong, and felt like I could have kept going.

So, I'm still at a cross roads for my event in Vegas in 3 weeks.  I am registered for the full marathon, as I wanted to give it one more shot this year since I felt that I didn't run my race in Des Moines hard enough.  But, I also question whether I'll really be able to do any better in Vegas in another full attempt.  So, option 2 would be to downgrade to the half marathon in Vegas and shoot for a personal record. Still haven't decided, but I think I'm going to stick with the training for the full just in case. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment