Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why Do You Run?

I recently asked this question on the Runner's World Beginner's Forum discussion board and got the following responses from a great group of folks!

  • I run so I can live long and well.
  • I run because I love to race, even though I am not close to winning anything (yet). 
  • I run because its a better example for my kids. 
  • I run because I have seen that it is something I can do that many of my family and peers can't. 
  • I run because it makes me feel good, physically and mentally. 
  • I run because I am a loner sometimes, and its good to get out there by myself. 
  • I run for t-shirts and medals. 
  • I run because people told me all my life that I couldn't. 
  • I run to prove that there are no limitations to my dreams. 
  • Running changed my life immeasurably; it helped me get through a time where there was no light at the end of the tunnel. 
  • I run because I can. 
  • I run because I like to see how far I can go and still push myself. 
  • I run because I like the simplicity of running. 
  • I run because I've learned from experience that, if you're not using your body, then you're losing your body. 
  • It keeps me in shape. 
  • It makes me feel better about myself. 
  • It takes my mind off other things. 
  • It allows me to travel to places I would not have a reason to go otherwise. 
  • It makes me feel genuinely good about myself. 
  • It gives me a sense of control over my life. 
  • It's the most exhausting, hardest thing I can inflict on my body. 
  • It gives me time to think. 
  • It truly feels wonderful when I stop. 
  • Running has changed me physically and mentally and I'm quite different than the person I used to be.
  • Running sets me free. 
  • I love the anticipation before a run. I love the feeling I get while I am running, like I am invincible. 
  • I love the chance to escape from my life, if only for a little bit! 
  • I love that running gives me the ability to set goals which can be reached but only through hard work and perseverance. Is there a better feeling in the world than finally reaching a goal which took you weeks/months/years to accomplish? 
  • Running is my escape. 
  • I like to run because it has made me find out who I really am. 
  • It makes me think, allows me to get away from it all. 
  • When it is just me and the pavement, there are no bills, no loans, no chores, no worries, no administration. It is just me bettering myself, competing against myself, and making me a better person. 
  • It completely calms me. 
  • It justifies all the chocolate milk I drink. 
  • I run because most of my peers think it's crazy. 
  • Running makes me feel alive. 
  • Because I love doing something I never thought I could do. 
  • Because I finally understand being a penguin is better than not being anything at all. 
  • Health and weight control are nice side effects of running, but what really gets me out the door is the joy of just being alive and able to run. 
  • I just run just for the thrill of running; for the privilege of engaging in an act both simple and beautiful, wild and free. 
  • I feel at peace running in the outdoors. 
  • Because my butt looks friggin' awesome in running tights. 
  • Because it's just plain fun!
Again, these are not my own words, but response from real, everyday, normal people, with heart, drive, ambition, and goals. Not elite runners, not Olympians, but your average Jack and Jills, getting out there every day, doing their thing. Running. And that's what is so cool! It's apparent that a lot of folks just love running. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment