Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Jumping Back Into Training

This past week has been OK for running. My legs have been feeling good, and I feel like I'm back to 100% and fully recovered from the marathon 2 weeks ago.  I managed to run 31.6 miles last week, culminating in a 13.1 mile long run (although it was a somewhat bad run since my legs felt like they wanted to cramp up).  I've also switched over to a Galloway program, which incorporates a run/walk ratio, rather than pure running.  I'm not sure I like the Galloway method yet, but thought I'd give it a try for a couple of weeks.  The jury is still out on that. 

Anyhow, I'm still suffereing a bit in the motivation department, and I just can't put my finger on it.  I've had some good speed this past week, and am feeling better about that, but still just can't get excited about the upcoming marathon yet.  I've had a lot going on in my life this past week too, so that probably is a factor.  Maybe now life can settle down a bit, and I'll get back into the groove.  My training mileage plan (using a modified Hal Higdon multiple marathon plan) calls for about 38 miles this week, and about 44 next week, then tapering back again.  We'll see how that goes. 

Another option, if I can't get into a good training schedule and find my happy place, I may "not" run the full marathon in Las Vegas, but downgrade and just do the half marathon.  I might be able to try for a PR in that case, and could also use the race to help fill my half-marathon race card since I've recently become a Half Marathon Fanatic.  Decisions, decisions, but the main point, I'm going to remain very flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment