Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cold Weather Running

I've come a long way as a runner over the previous 11 months.  Back in the day, the thought of running outside in the cold, at night, in a strange area would not have happened.  After 1200 miles of experience under my feet, it's really not that big of a deal.  You just have to have the proper clothing and equipment, and I've found that it's actually quite enjoyable.

Everyone has their own threshold, but temperatures were in the upper 30s during my nighttime 4 mile run tonight, and it felt wonderful.  I wore a pair of lightweight Nike tights, a long sleeve tech shirt, and a long sleeve tech half-zip (love half-zip shirts now).  Since it was just a tad cool, I wore my lightweight tech hat and tech running gloves.  When I say "tech", I really mean moisture-wicking, or typically a polyester-spandex blend. Now others would even just wear shorts in this type of weather, but I do prefer a pair of tights below with temperatures in the 30s, especially at night.   To each their own though, and it's important to do what works for you!

The bottom line, we evolve, and our attitudes soften toward those things that we once thought we'd never do. Running in the cold?  11 months ago, no way.  Now, it's really not that big of a deal.  It's actually not that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment